Sunday, December 29, 2013

Day a female fan kissed me in my wife’s presence –Chijoke Mbanefo (Osadebe Jnr.)


By CHRISTIAN AGADIBE
He has been described as the successor to the late Ichie of highlife music, Chief Osita Osadebe. His compositions, arrangement and delivery style all attest to this. In this interview, Prince Chijoke Mbanefo aka Osadebe Junior, who just returned from London and South Africa, laments the cold reception of highlife music in Nigeria and recalls the day a female fan planted a kiss on him in the presence of his wife. Excerpts:
Why did you travel to London and South Africa?
I actually went for a show in London. I went there in response to an invitation. My London trip was really an eye opener. I played my music as it was supposed to be and the whites enjoyed all the numbers thoroughly. They pranced about enjoying them. The gist of it all was that they were dancing to the beats of my songs and they did in the typical Oyibo way, showing all the excitement. I spent one week in London but I really enjoyed every moment of my stay. From London I moved to South Africa where I spent two months with my band men. We were there when Nelson Mandela died; we were even at his burial. There we confirmed once more the place of highlife music, they love our music and this encouraged us to record an album that will be released on January 15, 2014. In this work, I was able to try out few South African languages with a view to reaching out to the South Africans who may be opportune to listen to the record now or in future. I did a song entitled, ‘Goodbye Mandela’ in English for the benefit of foreign listeners.
What is the place of highlife music outside Nigeria?
From what I have seen, highlife is a universally accepted form of music. The whites have no doubt been yeaning for such unique and rich African music. Their enthusiasm may have stemmed from the fact that they are used to rock, pop and other forms of music. They know what they have and what they don’t have. They don’t hide it, too.
Do you think this impressive update is a pointer for Nigerians to embrace highlife music and promote it to anywhere in the world?
I seriously believe that most people in government and some Nigerians know that highlife music is our own cultural brand. For this reason, patriotism demands that we all must love highlife music and identify with it anywhere, anytime. I wish those in government know the implications of promoting hip-hop and other forms of foreign music. It is high time we acknowledged and identified with our own for the sake of re-orientating our children, for the sake of presentation and promotion of our culture through music. This is important and necessary. My recent recognition and award as one of the Igbo music ambassadors make me believe that some Nigerians know the importance of highlife music. This alone has given me all the hopes concerning the future of highlife music and other indigenous forms of music.
A female fan once kissed you in the presence of your wife, how did she react?
Oh yes, a female fan kissed me in the presence of my wife! I embraced such on the basis of being a fan, and luckily my wife knew and accepted this as an ordinary gesture of love. The innocence I displayed no doubt stamped the fact that I had nothing to do with her.
Is your record label happy with your progress?
They are and have been showing this in their willingness to assist me at the slightest opportunity. As a result of this, we have been living as one indivisible family.
Are you willing to renew your contract with your record label?
It is a six-year contract that will expire in 2016. Like any other human being, I thank God that I have made steady progress. For this, I think that I am more matured, more experienced and exposed. This may have been shown in the number of those coming to me for business. For now, I don’t want to jump the gun as per making any statement regarding my renewal with Ojes Music label. However, the prospects are bright because we are one big family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment